- believe everything you hear without stopping to consider whether or not it’s the truth. Sometimes, this world tries to tell us things that aren’t really true. Just because you hear it doesn’t make it the truth. Always ask the Spirit of Truth to guide you into all truth (John 16:13).
- feel condemned every time you mess up. Romans 8:1 says that there is NO condemnation for those who are in Christ. Today, you don’t have to experience a constant sense of condemnation, because at the cross, Christ was condemned in your place!
- worry about the opinions of others. As long as you are doing the right thing – doing what God wants you to do – don’t worry about what others think of you. After all, if God is for you, who can be against you (Romans 8:31)?
- watch or listen to things that don’t reflect your values as a believer. Some songs, while having a catchy beat, contain lyrics that aren’t very edifying. Some movies and tv shows, while possessing an engaging storyline, include some questionable content, as well. Just because something’s popular doesn’t mean that you have to watch or listen to it. If it doesn’t line up with the kind of thing
Philippians 4:8 says that you should be thinking about, you may want to rethink your choice of media.
- always be worrying about situations in your life. Instead, cast all of your cares upon the Lord, believing that He will sustain you (Psalm 55:22). Trust that He will work all things together for your good (Romans 8:28)!
Which of these do you need to break away from? How can you begin to do so today?