Do you desire to grow in your relationship with God? Do you want to draw closer to Him? Have you ever wondered how to actually go about doing that?
Your relationship with God is like any other relationship in the sense that the more time you spend with Him, the more you will get to know Him. Here are some ways you can spend time with your Heavenly Father, and get to know Him better –
- Read His Word. It’s kind of stating the obvious, but we can sometimes forget to simply open the Bible. Remember, we don’t read it just to make God happy. We read it to get to know Him, because it tells us all about Him!
- Spend time in prayer. Prayer is simply having a conversation with God. Like any conversation, in involves both talking and listening. Tell Him what’s on your heart, then take time to listen for what He has to say to you!
- Start a prayer journal/notebook. Some people have an easier time focusing on talking to God if they write their prayers out. Why not give it a try?!? You can also write down what you feel that God is saying to you, and people’s names and needs to help you remember to pray for them.
- Turn on worship music, and have your own time of worship. For some people, music can really help them to connect with God. Maybe you’re one of those people! If you enjoy worship at your church or youth group, have your own worship time during the week!
- Have a Bible study/prayer time with a friend. You can encourage each other in your relationship with God!
- Memorize your favorite scriptures. Are there certain scriptures that encourage you? Memorize them, so that you can bring them to mind whenever you need encouragement!
- Spend some time praying in the Spirit. When we pray in tongues, God’s Spirit is praying through us – sometimes either in a way we wouldn’t have known to pray, or about things we wouldn’t have known to pray over. Make sure to pray in tongues as a part of your prayer time! (For more about praying in tongues, click here!)
Most of all, ask God on a daily basis to give you a greater understanding of who He is, and of His incredible love and grace!
My name is Emily Hockenhull. I started Called and Created as a way to share the good news of the gospel of God's grace with others. Come join me on the journey!