Since its release, Disney’s animated movie Frozen has become extremely popular. Many have enjoyed watching it, time and again. Remakes of the song “Let It Go” have been popping up all over. Tons of people have had fun laughing over the antics of Olaf, a snowman from the movie who is quite the character!
While watching the movie, I noticed that its storyline demonstrates some truths from God’s Word. Here is what I took away from Frozen –
- Elsa’s struggle with controlling her powers reminded me of Paul’s struggle with sin, spoken of in Romans 7:15-24.
- When Elsa ran away to the mountain after everyone found out about her powers, and began to let them loose, she thought that she was finally free. In reality, she was still trapped in isolation. There are those who think true freedom is being able to live however they want. Just like Elsa wasn’t truly free until she learned that love was the answer to obtaining mastery over her powers, we aren’t truly free until we have allowed ourselves to be set free by the love of our Savior. True freedom is found in Christ alone!
- The way that Anna would stop at nothing to help her sister break free of the isolation and fear she’d been living under for so long, eventually sacrificing herself to that end, reminded me of how Christ pursues us, and went even to the point of laying down His life for us.
- When Elsa accidentally froze Anna’s heart, the troll said that only an act of true love could thaw a frozen heart. The act of true love that saved Anna was her risking her own life to save Elsa from being killed by the man who was trying to take over their kingdom. This reminded me of John 15:13, which says that no man has greater love than the laying down of their life for their friends. True love is self-sacrificial. That is the kind of love Anna showed to her sister, and that is the kind of love Christ has shown to us.
- The love Anna showed to Elsa completely changed her. In the same way, it is the love of Christ that brings about true change in our lives.
This is what I took away from the movie Frozen. Have you seen the movie? What do you like best about it?
My name is Emily Hockenhull. I started Called and Created as a way to share the good news of the gospel of God's grace with others. Come join me on the journey!